“The town of Broad Ripple (image on right) was platted by Jacob Coil (or Coyle) in April, 1837, on land he purchased from Jacob McKay and John Colip. It was located north of the Central Canal which had just started to be constructed.
South of the canal the town of Wellington (image below) was platted in May, 1837, by James and Adam Nelson.
The rivaling towns joined together in 1884 with the establishment of one post office, called Broad Ripple, and located south of the canal. Broad Ripple Village was annexed to the city of Indianapolis in 1922.
The Broad Ripple plat, north of the canal, is bounded by the current streets of Westfield, 64th Street, Carrollton, and the Sugar Bob Lane alley. The area of Wellington shown on the plat maps is bounded by the current streets of Westfield, Winthrop, Broad Ripple Avenue, and Guilford.”